Lemak - rice cooked in coconut milk (santan) served with sliced boiled egg, peanuts, cucumber and sambal sauce. Regarded as the national dish by all Malaysians.
Char Koay Teow - fresh rice noodles fried with prawns, egg and bean sprouts. A favourite dish of all Malaysians.
- a meat or chicken dish prepared with chillies, onions and other condiments, sweetened with coconut milk. There are dry and wet versions. A Festival dish.
San Chou Bau - minced chicken with spring onions, ginger, red pepper, water chestnut rolled up in a lettuce leaf.
- made from a batter mixture, seasoned with tumeric and poured using a special cup to make a lacy pancake effect.
- chilli paste mixed with shallots, garlic and
added to prawns and other ingredients eg anchovies
- a vegetarian curry made from dhall (lentils), vegetables, tumeric and chillies.
- palm sugar obtained from the sap of coconut palms, boiled until it crystallizes then moulded into cylindrical cakes.
- stone mortar and pestle
- coconut scraper
Wok or Kuali
- steel or brass pot for stir frying